I was just reading through my old blog posts and was amused at a few assumptions I made when I was first starting this thing. For one, I had a $3500 budget, which is of course less than the cost of the safety equipment alone. Seems like I’ve probably blown $3k on nuts and bolts. I’ll probably end up more like $13,500 when I’m done. Also, I thought it would be eight feet long, which is interesting considering that I’ve not really added much since then and it is now 18 feet long. My original schedule was for the 2008 event in August, which obviously didn’t happen. I think that had more to do with the budget thing, though. Also, my need to overcomplicate things and my June/July detour where I spent all my free time trying to make billions of dollars using an adaptive neural network in the market. It didn’t work, by the way.
I noticed the numbering system I use for the titles of these blogs got behind somehow, so I'm going to slowly increase my numbering of these things til it becomes correct. Or maybe i'll start using names.
Anyways, enough memory lane. I got the rolling chassis done! I did not, however, get the rear brake hooked up so it seemed ill advised to get in and roll down a hill. But this is what it looks like:
I have to smile every time I see it put together. It’s just absurdly tiny from the front and back, and comically huge from every other angle. Also sitting next to my other Honda F4i, it’s clear how far removed from a road bike it is. I wish I could slap on some turn signals and take around town, but I’d probably get run over. It would be underneath a Celica, and the driver would say “I just didn’t see it!” and the cops would say “what are you talking about, it’s like eighteen feet long!” and the driver would say, “No, you don’t understand. Look at it from the back!”